The following is a selection of news and analysis headlines with weblinks appearing in the three, daily news pages of A Socialist In Canada during the week of March 29 to April 4, 2021. Comments in square brackets on the news pages are by website editor Roger Annis.
* Panel discussion with Grayzone editors Max Blumenthal, Aaron Maté and Ben Norton, livestream broadcast on the YouTube channel of The Grayzone, Apr 2, 2021 (three hours in total) The three editors discuss the imperialist military/political escalations in recent years against the peoples of Ukraine, Syria, Venezuela, Ecuador and China’s Xinjiang region. They are joined mid-broadcast by Grayzone correspondent Ajit Singh.
* The China-based foreigners defending Beijing from Xinjiang genocide claims, news report in South China Morning Post, Mar 30, 2021 [This news report is intended to discredit commentary by China-based foreigners who are defending the Chinese people and government against hostile propaganda and military threats from the West. But the report’s effect is the opposite.]
* ‘Wipe out China!’: U.S.-funded Uyghur activists train as gun-toting foot soldiers for empire, by Ajit Singh, The Grayzone, Mar 31, 2021
* With Nicaragua, scary Covid-19 projections in Western media are more newsworthy than the country’s positive outcomes, by John Perry, Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting, Apr 2, 2021
* The race between COVID vaccines and emerging variants, Axios, Apr 1, 2021 …Larry Luchsinger, assistant member of the nonprofit New York Blood Center, and several other experts warn vaccinations must speed up in the U.S. and globally before a more serious variant pops up that renders the first generation of vaccines ineffective…
* France’s defense minister visits Mali on April 1 for damage control after reports confirm that French jets killed 19 people at a wedding in Mali on January 3, 2021, Associated Press, Apr 2, 2021 and read: French air strike in January killed 19 unarmed civilians in Mali, says UN report, People’s Dispatch, Mar 31, 2021
* Crisis, sanctions and environment in Venezuela: A conversation with Liliana Buitrago and Emiliano Terán of the Venezuelan Political Ecology Observatory (part one), published in Venezuela Analysis, Apr 2, 2021
(Full ‘World news’ page is here)
* Tens of thousands take to the streets of France on March 28 demanding tougher legislation to slow global warming. Two reports, by Radio France internationale, Mar 28, 2021 and by Common Dreams, Mar 29, 2021
* We’re hurtling toward global suicide, by Ben Ehrenreich, The New Republic, Mar 18, 2021
* How liberal environmentalists are organizing to push the Biden regime along the path of green capitalism as a response to ‘climate change’. Report by Kate Aronoff, staff writer, The New Republic, Mar 29, 2021
* The everyday chemicals that might be leading to human extinction, book review in New York Times, Mar 5, 2021 Reviewing: Count Down: How Our Modern World Is Altering Male and Female Reproductive Development, Threatening Sperm Counts, and Imperiling the Future of the Human Race, by Shanna H. Swan with Stacey Colino, publisher Simon & Schuster, 292 pp and related: Stealth chemicals: A call to action on a threat to human fertility, interview with epidemiologist Shanna Swan, in Yale Environment 360, Mar 18, 2021
(Full ‘Ecology news’ website page is here)
The collapse of Covid-19 policy in Canada’s largest provinces, note by A Socialist In Canada, April 1, 2021 [The collapse is laid bare by alarming rises in daily new cases and rising hospitalizations. The Covid policy failures in Canada are providing a powerful incentive for the Canadian government and media barons to continue their anti-China propaganda and threats. China has vanquished the pandemic, a stark contrast to the failures and criminal negligence of the Western powers. All the leading member-countries of the NATO military alliance have spectacularly failed to curb the pandemic, leave alone vanquish it. Extensive news and analysis of Canada’s negligent pandemic response is reported daily on the ‘Canada news’ website page of A Socialist In Canada.]
* New data shows COVID-19 pandemic now ‘completely out of control’ in Ontario, key scientific adviser says, CBC News, Mar 29, 2021 ..
* Ontario walked right into this colossal failure, by Bruce Arthur, columnist, Toronto Star, Apr 1, 2021
* British Columbia’s pseudo lockdown is destined to fail, by V.S.Wells, Passage, Apr 1, 2021
* Canada is one big pandemic response experiment proving that ‘Zero Covid’ is best, commentary by Andrew Nikiforuk, The Tyee, Apr 2, 2021
And by the same writer:
* Here’s how badly Canada’s public health agency muffed the pandemic, by Andrew Nikiforuk, columnist, The Tyee, Mar 26, 2021 The auditor-general report lays out six ways the Canada Public Health Agency failed its mandate
* Canada could have been largely free of the pandemic by now, by Andrew Nikiforuk, columnist, The Tyee, Mar 25, 2021
(Full ‘Canada news’ website page is here)