September 9, 2021–The following is a selection of the news and analysis headlines posted in August 2021 to the three news pages on A Socialist In Canada website—World news, Ecology, and Canada news.
To view all the headlines posted to ‘World news’ in August 2021, go to the ‘News pages archives‘ and click on the archived page. For Canada news and ecology news, these are not yet archived; click on the current new pages: Canada news and Ecology news.
A new feature page has been created on A Socialist In Canada, titled Editor’s comments. It has been open for several months now and consists of brief commentary and analysis by the website editor Roger Annis on important headlines/stories.
To search for items on any of the news pages or archived news pages, go to the page in question and use the ‘edit’ function on your web browser. This works better than using the website search functio. A full listing of the news pages archives, dating back to 2017, can be viewed by clicking News archives on the website home page.
World news headlines
Find the complete world news headlines for August 2021 on the archived website page for that month.
- Afghanistan: The end of the occupation, by Nancy Lindisfarne and Jonathan Neale, published on their website (UK), Aug 17, 2021
- Does China’s rise really threaten the U.S., or just its sociopathic power elite who want to keep ruling the world?, by Dee Knight, Covert Action Magazine, Aug 14, 2021 (Dee Knight is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America and the anti-war subcommittee of the DSA’s International Committee.)
- Xinjiang, China: The reality, interview with KJ Noh, broadcast on Breakthrough News, July 23, 2021
- Latin American socialism and the fight against Covid-19: Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, by Sasha Gillies-Lekakis, published in MR Online, Aug 18, 2021 (Sasha Gillies-Lekakis is an honors student at the School of Spanish and Latin American Studies of the University of Melbourne in Melbourne, Australia.)
- How the pandemic now ends, by Ed Yong, The Atlantic, Aug 12, 2021 …America has fallen prey to many of the same self-destructive but alluring instincts that I identified last year. It went all in on one countermeasure—vaccines—and traded it off against masks and other protective measures. It succumbed to magical thinking by acting as if a variant that had ravaged India would spare a country where half the population still hadn’t been vaccinated…
- July 2021 was Earth’s hottest month on record, news release by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Aug 13, 2021
- IPCC report warns of an ‘unimaginable, unforgiving world’ without drastic emission cuts, by The Energy Mix (Ottawa), Aug 9, 2021
- Ailing Earth can’t cope as human demands soar, says report in Bioscience journal, by Tim Radford, Climate News Network, Aug 4, 2021
- Fact check: Is China the main climate change culprit?, Deutsche Welle, June 30, 2021 (with extensive charts) China currently releases more carbon emissions than any other country — leading many to believe it bears the greatest responsibility for climate change. However, the situation is more complex than it seems.
- One simple principle: No vaccine, no go, op-ed commentary by Theresa Man Ling Lee, in Globe and Mail, Aug 16, 2021 (Theresa Man Ling Lee is an associate professor in political theory in the Department of Political Science at the University of Guelph.)
- Nurses and doctors take aim at BC government and industry’s ’s liquefied natural gas ambitions, by Michelle Gamage, The Tyee, Aug 18, 2021
- Community rally brings down statue of John A. Macdonald in downtown Hamilton park, five weeks after city council voted to keep it. Report by CBC News, Aug 14, 2021
- Lima Group loses Lima, by Yves Engler, published on his website and in several alternative media sites in Canada, Aug 11, 2021
- A vaccine-only strategy won’t prevent a fourth wave of Covid-19, op-ed commentary by Dr. Brooks Fallis, Globe and Mail, Aug 4, 2021 (Brooks Fallis is a critical care physician and the former medical director and division head of critical care at the William Osler Health System in Toronto region.) Read the op-ed here in pdf format: Vaccine-only strategy not enough